Monday, October 13, 2008

Devotional for Monday

I wanted to share a little from my devotional that was a much needed reminder for me this morning. ('A Pillar by Day' by Jon Courson) Maybe it will help you out today too :)

It is not our job to beat people up or straighten them out. Yes, we are to share the truth with them in love, but anger or bitterness will disqualify us from true leadership, for the wrath of man never works the righteousness of God. (James 1:20) Moses no doubt thought, "This is it. It's been almost forty years and these people never stop complaining. Certainly God, You must have had it up to here with all Your people." God's mercy, however, is inexhaustible. It extends all the way to the heavens (Psalm 36:5).

"Your mercies are new every morning," the prophet proclaimed (Lamentations 3: 22-23). Like Moses, we can think God surely must be exhausted, upset, or angry with us and the rest of the sinners surrounding us. But He's not. His mercy is new every morning, and where sin abounds, grace abounds much more. (Romas 5:20)

Of course you can apply this to probably every relationship in your life but this spoke to me the most this morning when it comes to being a mom. How many times do I discipline out of annoyance or react harshly when they disobey? Thank God he is patient and merciful with us. What a great reminder...

4 comments:

Michele said...

GOOD devotional. I'm sharing with my family...

Anonymous said...

DEAR PASTOR BUTLER,
GREAT INSIGHT. THANK YOU.

Gracey Camp. said...

Geez Louise,
Wish I would have read this yesterday before I was such a jerk. Thankfully, I have very forgiving friends! Thanks for the note! Lori

Scott and Shelly said...

Thanks for the reminder! It's so easy to forget how much I need His mercy!